Fenestration Codes and Trends with AAMA Board Member, Mike Turner, YKK AP AmericaJanuary 27, 2012
Commercial Conversation is a series of podcasts from the editors of Commercial Building Products magazine. A recent podcast was held with AAMA Board Member Mike Turner, Vice President of Marketing at YKK AP America, Austell, GA. Turner is also the Task Group Chairman for BIM Initiatives at AAMA, a member of the AAMA Codes and Regulatory Affairs Committee and a member of the International Code Council (ICC). Download the podcast mp3 file.
In this podcast, Turner discusses new ICC codes, AAMA standards, fenestration technology and how these factors are going to combine to reduce building energy consumption by 30% and exceed current LEED® requirements. Turner’s involvement with the various code-development committees and as an AAMA board member provides him with insight that will help specifiers identify fenestration that will meet energy-code requirements, likely exceed LEED requirements and generally help develop efficient and sustainable facilities.
To help you further understand the new codes and what they mean, explore the following resources:
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
- U.S. DOE All You Ever Wanted to Know About Energy Code Determinations
- U.S. DOE, Commercial Determinations: Final Determination on Standard 90.1-2010
- 2011 ICC Code Development Cycle Final Action on Proposed Code Changes
- ASHRAE Guide to Standard 189.1
- Standard 189.1 User’s Manual
- U.S. DOE Building Energy Codes Program